REACHING THE ZENITH OF COMPETENCY

Being part of the Ten Outstanding Maritime Cadets of the Philippines is a big privilege. To be able to accomplish such honour was never an easy task. One must have a reason to enter in such competition without fear and worries; but it's inevitable. In order to have courage and take a bolder step in your life, one must simply acknowledge fear and worries. Without it, courage would not exist in the first place.

As I have read about the recent news on Western Union’s search for outstanding cadets, I cannot help but think of entering the competition. Several reasons have made me decide not to join such competition at an early stage. The main reason was that I was not confident enough on my qualifications.

I passed my requirements for the competition. It composed of several achievements that I attained from my grade school years up to now, social involvement, background of my family and the Transcript of Records with the assessment of the school for good moral and right conduct. As I send my requirements, I can’t help but worry if I'd be qualified for the next step but the determination to inspire others prevailed over my worries. 

I got a notice from Western Union that I was short-listed to the next stage of the search. Happiness reigned during the moments I was reading the letter. A smile turns into a grin, as I understand the responsibility of bearing the school’s name in the national level. Furthermore, I knew that the competition has risen to a different stage since it will now conduct a series of examination.


When I reached Manila, I was greeted by the office personnel of Western Union. They fetch me from the airport and sent me to the hotel. As I opened the door on where I will stay, I was intimidated to see my roommate who was so busy reading maritime books and manuals. By the time I roamed around the hotel, I noticed that most contestants were studying diligently a night before the competition. 

Apart from the willingness to inspire others, I have my personal point of view towards the competition. I told myself that if ever I will take the examination, it should be based on what I have learned from the past 3 years of studying my profession. Studying a day or two ahead from the event doesn’t measure your knowledge and intelligence of your profession. If one loves his profession then he absorbs the knowledge given to him putting it in his mind and soul. That is my principle.

I did my best in the competition and so are the others. 

After several days, I received a call from Western Union telling me that I am one of the Ten Outstanding Maritime Cadets in the Philippines. I was speechless, in awe and still unsure if it was true. It's an achievement for someone trying to prove that everything can be achieved if you believe firmly with yourself.

I was invited to go to Manila for the National Seafarer’s Day and the awarding ceremony. I thought that the event was only small until I realized that most of the maritime schools in the country were there to attend the event.


It was a breath-taking scene to see hundreds of maritime cadets from different parts of the country to participate in the event. It started with a colorful parade. 

The event was held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. The highlight of the event was the proclamation of the Ten Outstanding Maritime Students of the Philippines. Applause and cheers filled the stadium; there is no doubt that it is a moment worth remembering. 

Desire is the starting point of all the achievements in life.  When your desires are strong, then you will appear motivated. I am not intelligent nor I am smart compared to others but what separates me from them is that I am willing and able. These are only two simple things yet it will propel anyone towards the zenith of competency.


*****
Emmanuel Dotillos Jr. is a 4th year BSMT NSA Cadet of Solvang Philippines in University of Cebu Lapu-Lapu and Mandaue. 

Comments

Popular Posts